Sink the corporate floats

Got a problem or have suggestions to make things better?

Moderators: Weborah, Moderator Team

Sink the corporate floats

Unread postby Crawfish » Mar 01 2006, 09:49 am

Among all the highly original, well thought-out neighborhood floats were several themeless floats sponsored by Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc. They didn't say anything about Katrina, nothing about politics, just logos of their respective brands. What's next, the UPS float? The Kellogg's float? Is STMG becoming NASCAR?

Is Bud Light funny? Is Bud Light a commentary on anything? Does Bud Light have anything to do with Spanish Town? No! In my opinion, Spanish Town is no place for rolling billboards, and this nonsense should stop before STMG goes corporate. How does this sound - since the Sugar Bowl has become the Nokia Sugar Bowl, why not just take the money and we'll hold the Bacardi Spanish Town Mardi Gras? No thanks...
Crawfish
New Flocker
New Flocker

Unread postby Gilfish » Mar 01 2006, 07:28 pm

I like the non corporate floats as well but one thing you probable do not realize is that throughout all of the Spanish Town events money that is remaining after expenses is given to local charities. These coroprate floats bring in Dollars and those dollars help out the charities that SPLL support throughout the year. So even though they do not have the traditional theme setting they are doing thier part to help SPLL to help the local charities. I do not think that the SPLL board will ever allow the parade to go majority corporate There is to much pride in the statements that are made by the krewes that conduct the political satire in association with the current years theme.
Krewe out for fun
Always looking for that next pink encounter
Gilfish
MVP Flocker
MVP Flocker

Selling out

Unread postby avenger » Mar 01 2006, 08:18 pm

Well here we go again on one of our most discussed issues at board meetings.Here's the deal,in the last 5 yrs we have become a behemoth of a parade-everyone wants to participate and even with an increased allotment of 90 floats we still had to turn away 20-30 krewes. Now before our success we didn't even fill the 75 slots we were afforded by the police dept.All the radio stations and Mockler(BUD) were there to pay their money and there was no reason to exclude them save their blatant self promotion.We didn't care for it then but what the flock-we tolerated it and their riders loved it and we loved the Bud girls.Shameless but true! So 4yrs ago we placed a premium dollar amount on each commercial entry of $2500 bucks,bye bye radio vans and trucks,but Mockler hung in there for their employees and we have 4 times the money to donate to our multiple charities.We have a set # of 2 comm. float positions each parade, period! Except,now with the frantic arrival of 90+ units at the last moment in the chaos rules are bent and broken and we are there for a great time too,so shep happens and why ruin a good thing over harmless details.Now my question to you crawfish ol buddy is:Was your parade experience diminished irretrievably to the extent you will be passing on upcoming STMG parades? If so the Malls would love to see a few of the big bucks you spend on the lavish parade expenses. Kirk out
avenger
SPLL Board
SPLL Board

Unread postby Crawfish » Mar 01 2006, 08:43 pm

My parade expenses were certainly minimal - electricity for a dryer load of clothes won't break the bank. The handful of corporate floats were not in and of themselves a problem, my problem is more the precedent that it could set if the line in the sand of 2 floats is compromised. It becomes a seductive, creeping slide into a watered down version of a Baton Rouge treasure, and nobody wants to see that.

I know I am crossing threads, but we have been discussing a second parade on another thread, call it the Son of Spanish Town, which could conceivably make it possible to have our cake and eat it too. That could be the bead run for the whole family, the quota for corporate floats could be raised, and everybody would be happy.

Well, almost - money or no, I am sure that Mockler can come up with something creative still involving brand names. Even if 90% of the float is covered with logos, they can redeem themselves with a few funny and creative themes. That and more scantily clad young women, that always smoothes ruffled feathers...
Crawfish
New Flocker
New Flocker

Unread postby reyde » Mar 02 2006, 12:07 am

Hey Crawfish! Wonderful idea to have a second parade. You can take a tack from the SPLL board, someone comes up with an idea they run with. So good luck and hope you are a great success
reyde
SPLL Board
SPLL Board

Return to Whine, Bitch and Gripe